Hat on Top, Coat Below


    archives    home    notify list    e-mail   

Archive for January 18th, 2011

Circus Baby Two Quilt

January 18, 2011

Circus Baby Two QuiltI am on some sort of creative roll lately. Here’s the latest project I’ve finished, a baby quilt commissioned by a woman at one of my employer’s customers for her great niece. In what I think may be some kind of record for me, it went from vague idea to finished quilt in a little less than one week. Of course, during that week, I did very little else besides work at my job and work on this quilt, but I’m still a bit surprised I was able to do it. The rush was due to a date for the baby shower being set; the woman paying for the quilt said it was no problem at all to get the quilt later, but I wanted her to have it for the party, which she now does. The only direction she gave me was “pastels”, so I had free reign when it came to design. I liked that, to be sure, though there’s always the worry that my choices might not suit her; in this case, they did—when she got the quilt, she said she loved it. Whew.

Circus Baby Two Quilt - DetailI made this quilt entirely from fabrics I had in my stash. I started with a green print with elephants and birds and jack in the boxes on it; this was the same print but in a different colorway as the one I used as a main fabric in a quilt I made for the same woman’s first granddaughter several years back. I also had that print on ivory, so I pulled that out, too, along with more greens, some neutral tans, and a yellow companion print to the green and ivory. The color scheme the couple had chosen for the nursery was ivory and tan, so I didn’t have a lot to go on there. For a pattern, I leafed through the folder of baby quilt ideas I’ve got in my file cabinet and found one called “Railroad Ties” from the March/April 2003 issue of Quiltmaker magazine. To make a baby-sized quilt, I had to use fewer blocks than the pattern called for, and I ended up adding sashing squares to the original pattern and not following the directions exactly on how wide to cut the strips so I could better use the prints I had. It went together quickly, obviously. For the back, I pieced two lengths of a companion stripe to the green print. I quilted it with a variegated cotton thread in pastels that coordinated with the prints and turned the back to the front instead of doing a separate binding (that saved some time). I added a label, and it was done. I hope this means I’ve got my quilting mojo back, because I’ve got plenty of projects I want to work on.

    archives    home    notify list    e-mail   

Powered by WordPress