December 4, 2009
As I mentioned in my last check-in, I didn’t have high hopes for making solid progress on my big goals in November since I didn’t get around to making any small goals for the month until after I’d spent the first two weeks mostly slacking (outside of workâ€”maybe the secret to achieving my personal goals is finding someone to pay me to do so). But progress or no, I think taking the time to review is important, so here I goâ€¦
1. Weigh less and move more. I most certainly do not weigh less. I enthusiastically celebrated Thanksgiving, both the giving thanks part and the eating just slightly less than my own body weight part. That showed on the scale, and I’m okay with that. I’d much rather have a good time with family and gain a bit a result than sit on my hands and watch everyone else eat. As far as the mini-goals I set for the second half of November mini-goals: I said I’d go to the gym 4 times, and I did (even lifted a bit more weight than in October: 9.4 elephant equivalents vs. 9.0â€”still nowhere near my high but at least heading in the right direction). I said I’d run or bike or do other aerobic exercise 5 times; I did notâ€”I biked once; part of the problem is my foot has been hurting again so running is not a good idea, part of the problem is I’ve been feeling like I’m just on the verge of getting sick like so many of my coworkers have been and so I’ve decided getting more sleep is better than getting up early to bike, part of the problem is I’m basically lazy. I said I’d do the Fitter and/or free weights twice; this I did do. One of those sessions was a Firm tape, which I hadn’t done in quite a whileâ€”I need to work those in more often, as based on the soreness I felt afterward, they sure hit muscles I’m not otherwise engaging.
2. Keep less and organize more. I said I’d file the condo paperwork. I did not. Mr. Karen even sorted it out into appropriate folders for me, so all I had to do was make room for them in my filing cabinet. That was a fail.
3. Surf less and contribute more. I said I’d finish 1 DP project, proof/format a page a day, and add one memorial or photo a day. If there’s a bright spot, it’s here; I did all those things and more.
Targets for December:
1) Keep a food diary for at least half the days in the month.
2) Gym 10 times.
3) Aerobic exercise 12 times (bike, Fitter, walk, etc.).
4) Free weights or Firm 4 times.
5) File condo paperwork. Seriously.
6) Empty at least 2 boxes in the basement.
7) Finish 1 DP project, proof/format a page a day, and add one memorial or photo a day.